Thursday, June 21, 2018

On the Road in June: Alberta, PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick

For three weeks very June, I go out examining for The Royal Conservatory's Certificate Program. Over the years I've had a chance to hear a huge number of students of all ages all over North America playing exams at every level. It's always a pleasure to support so many young musicians on their road to success in whatever form that might take, musical or otherwise, and this year was no exception.

I've done lots of traveling before, but this was the first time that I've worked in five provinces in one month. Starting out the month finishing up my teaching in Oakville and Toronto, the first week of my trip saw me visiting Lloydminster, Edmonton, and Drayton Valley in Alberta. The next week I travelled to Charlottetown, PEI for a single day of voice exams, then on to Moncton, New Brunswick. A last-minute cancellation had me re-routed to Halifax and New Glasgow (instead of St. John), and then back to my original route with a week in Fredericton. All in the span of three weeks!

Needless to say, I'm ready for a few weeks of downtime when I get back to Oakville tomorrow. The second week of July I'll be coaching at The Royal Conservatory's High School Vocal Performance Intensive while preparing for my talk on technology in the studio the RCM's Summer Summit 2018.

Here are some pictures from my trip so far:

The view from one of my walks on a break in Edmonton.


So I travel to one of the most picturesque places in Canada and the only
picture I take is at Cow's Creamery.


This is my second time in Halifax this year. What a fantastic city to visit!


The exam room in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia. 


Dinner by the water in Pictou was worth the half-hour drive. 


The exam room at Christ Church in Fredericton. That's a lovely vintage
Baldwin in the sanctuary. 



No comments:

Post a Comment