Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Core Repertoire: Sonatas for Viola and Piano

Here is a list of the most commonly played sonatas for viola and piano. For more in-depth lists, check out the following links:




Look inside this title
Sonata In A Minor For Viola And Piano, D 821 (Arpeggione) - sheet music at www.sheetmusicplus.com
Sonata In A Minor For Viola And Piano, D 821 (Arpeggione) By Franz Schubert (1797-1828), arranged by Ulrich Von Wrochem. D 821. Set of performance parts (includes separate pull-out viola part) for viola and piano. Urtext of the New Schubert Edition. Published by Baerenreiter-Ausgaben (German import). This sonata provides ample opportunities to bring the intimacy of the Schubertian lied into the arena of the sonata.
See more info...






Sonatas for Piano and Clarinet (or Viola) op. 120, 1 and 2 (Version for Viola) - sheet music at www.sheetmusicplus.comSonatas for Piano and Clarinet (or Viola) op. 120, 1 and 2 (Version for Viola) By Johannes Brahms (1833-1897), edited by Monica Steegmann. Collection and set of parts for Viola and piano. Urtext edition-paper bound. 71 pages. Published by G. Henle. Brahms' two late sonatas (originally for clarinet and piano) are two of the cornerstones of the viola and piano repertoire.
See more info...







Sonata By Rebecca Clarke. Arranged by Martha Schleifer. For Viola, Piano. Published by Hildegard. This late romantic work is truly one of the wonders of the viola and piano repertoire.
See more info...






Look inside this title
Sonata in F, Op. 11, No. 4 (1919) - sheet music at www.sheetmusicplus.com
Sonata in F, Op. 11, No. 4 (1919) Viola and Piano. By Paul Hindemith. Schott. Softcover. 36 pages. Published by Schott. This sonata (nicknamed "11/4") is much more romantic than Hindemith's later work, and is the most performed of his works for viola and piano. Highlights include the hybrid theme and variations form which straddles the last two movements.
See more info...






Look inside this title
Sonata (Piano/Viola) - sheet music at www.sheetmusicplus.com
Sonata (Piano/Viola) By Dmitri Shostakovich (1906-1975). Op. 147. Viola solo single for viola solo and piano accompaniment. Published by G. Schirmer, Inc. Shostakovich's enigmatic last work, which requires a great deal of thought from both violist and pianist, especially in the building of longer musical gestures.
See more info...


See the entire Core Repertoire series-in-progress.

Next in the series: more works for viola and piano.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Have you discontinued this core repertoire series? I only see 4 of them. I can tell these posts are pretty old by now, I hope you see this comment though, your blog is so amazing!!!

    I also have some advice to ask! I've been a solo pianist since age 5 and I'm now 23, I have a Bachelor and a Masters degrees in solo classical piano (graduated 3 months ago), but I have only recently admitted to myself that I indeed do not enjoy being a solo concert pianist at all, but I've always adored playing and rehearsing with other people, as well as listening to vocal, orchestral and instrumental music.

    I'm disappointing several people by taking this path but quite honestly it feels so liberating to make this decision!!! Anyway, I'm a bit at a loss as to how to go about it. I've played maybe 12 works in total as a collaborative pianist throughout my Bachelor's and Master's: the Franck violin sonata, a Brahms viola sonata, Schnittke viola concerto, a Brahms trio, an oboe concerto, some two-piano and four-hand pieces, a couple of 19th century songs and some two-piano and four-hand stuff. I have a bit of experience studying figured bass, score reading, late 19th century operas and Beethoven string quartets (through electives, although I'm no expert!)

    I want to pursue a Doctorate in Collaborative Piano starting two years from now. I also want to go to festivals as a collaborative pianist, and start making some money as an accompanist too. I live in New York but I'm going to live in Germany now for one year and then come back to NY (I want to try to get into the doctorate in Juilliard). Do you have any advice for me? How to start, what are some essential things I should work on, how to meet instrumentalists to play with, what is the absolutely essential rep I should know, etc.? I absolutely don't have enough experience or rep in collaborative piano to be accepted into the Juilliard doctorate right now, but perhaps I can focus solely on that and be ready for the auditions in a year and a half? Please, any help or advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

    Oh and, once more, your blog is awesome! Keep it up!

    WD

    ReplyDelete