Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Election 2006 Arts Platforms

As many of you know, the Canadian election is coming up on January 23 this month.

In the 2004 election, there was considerable interest (and a circulating email list of considerable size) that urged voters to consider what the arts and culture platforms of the various Canadian parties were. Although the platforms differed greatly, I was glad to see that the Liberal, NDP, Bloc, Green, and Conservative parties all mentioned these issues in varying degrees in their campaign sites.

This time around, I did the same research, with the intention of posting links to the various parties' arts agendas over the next few days. However, this time I noticed a shocking difference--I couldn't find any mention of specific arts and culture agendas on any of the party websites I visited this evening, with one exception, the Green Party.

So far, I am undecided in this election. But I hope that I am not alone in the belief that the arts are important in Canada and deserve to be mentioned in campaign literature the way they were in 2004. I will be emailing contact addresses of the various parties over the next few days and if they have anything of interest to say about the arts, I would be glad to broadcast that and link to relevant content.

No comments:

Post a Comment