Thursday, January 27, 2011

ARCT's and Japadogs in Vancouver

This week I'm examining for RCME in Vancouver, my old stomping grounds. Over the last few days I've been administering both ARCT Performance and Piano Pedagogy exams (alongside my wonderful colleague Patricia Miller), and it's been a pleasure observing so many fine young pianists and teachers.

But in addition to being a hotbed of pianistic talent, Vancouver is home to an incredible amount fine cuisine (including the Japadog, pictured at left), and I've had a great time enjoying some fine Chinese and Japanese food in both Vancouver and Richmond over the last few days. But old habits die hard, so I was able to fit in one visit to White Spot, a West Coast institution whose burgers are a cult item for many who grew up in Vancouver.

For those of you who aren't yet aware of what's in a Japadog, the Japanese-styled hot dog which became famous during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, the one I tried yesterday afternoon is called the Terimayo, which has fried onions, teriyaki sauce, Japanese mayo, and seaweed garnish. It's not only the toppings that make the hot dog, but the basics as well - the all-beef sausage is very high quality and I the bun is also astonishingly good. I hope to go back for another later in the week.

1 comment: