Monday, July 20, 2009

Collaborative Piano Studies at the University of California, Irvine

The University of California at Irvine's Department of Music offers a Master of Fine Arts in Collaborative Piano. Here is the required coursework for the program:
1. Bibliography (M200), 4 units
2. Analysis (M201A & B), 8 units
3. Graduate Performance (M211), max. 24 units (Note: taken every quarter in residence)
4. Seminar (selected from M220, M230, M235), 4 units
5. Diction (M158A–B–C), 6 units (Note: this requirement is waived for students who demonstrate competence in this area by passing a diagnostic exam, in which case these 6 units are taken as electives.)
6. Song Literature (M156A–B–[C]), 6 units
7. Chamber Ensembles (M176), 6 units
8. Graduate Recitals (M211R), 0 units (NB: one instrumental and one vocal recital)
In addition, reading knowledge of one non-English language is required (either French, German, Italian, or Spanish), as well as a comprehensive examination.

More useful links:

General graduate program information
Graduate handbook
Recital information

For more detailed information, contact the Department of Music at UC Irvine.


The complete list: Degree and Diploma Programs in Collaborative Piano


  1. Anonymous5:26 PM

    chris... you had nora the cat on here before. have you seen this?

  2. Thanks anonymous commenter!