Friday, October 10, 2008

A Lunch Hour Concert Times 3, then High Holy Days

It's finally back to normal after a very busy week...

Tuesday I was at First Canadian Place in Toronto where, just a few hundred metres from where the the daily carnage was unfolding on the Toronto Stock Exchange, I performed with singers and dancers in a promotional performance for Opera Atelier's upcoming Abduction from the Seraglio that opens in a few weeks. Because of the nature of the venue (in an atrium of a busy office building), we presented a short 25 minute program not once, but three times in a row, so people could view the performance on their lunch break and then return to their computer screens to watch more of the market carnage unfold.

Then for the last two days, I've been at Temple Sinai to play at Yom Kippur services (am I ever glad I took that Advanced Keyboard Skills course at Eastman). In addition to working with Cantor Lori Salzman for the second year in a row, I also had the pleasure of playing Bruch's Kol Nidrei with Aaron Schwebel, winner of the 2008 Ben Steinberg Musical Legacy Award, and Bloch's Nigun with Jacques Israelievitch, former concertmaster of the TSO. The sevices at Temple Sinai, one of Canada's largest congregations, are quite involved during the High Holy Days--I estimated that I played at 13 hours of services in just over 24 hours.

Needless to say, I haven't been able to update for the last few days, and we now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment