Thursday, June 29, 2006

Bowdoin Week 1

After a day-long drive in our new vehicle across New York state, Massachussetts, and up through New Hampshire and Maine, we finally arrived in Brunswick on Saturday night at the same house that we stayed in last year.

Sunday we were sure not to miss the Brunswick Public Library's annual book sale, the last day of which features a deal not to be beat: a paper bag full of books (you fill it) for $2. Some of my finds, and there were many, included collections of plays by Chekov, Aeschylus, Euripides, and Sophocles, poems of Denise Levertov, Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain, and Cervantes' Don Quixote, among others.

I was glad to see a new Steinway in my studio digs this year (I'll be sharing a studio once again with Naoko Sugiyama, newly appointed to the piano faculty of the
Longy School). With any luck, it will stay in good shape in the humidity of the Maine summer.

This morning was the first rehearsal for tomorrow's peformance of Brandenburg 6. Here are the personnel:


Roberto Diaz, viola
Michael Klotz, viola
Tsuyoshi Tsutsumi, cello
Steven Doane, cello
Rosemary Elliott, cello
Kurt Muroki, double bass
Christopher Foley, harpsichord


Yes, I'm also on harpsichord duty here at the festival, although I almost never play during the year in Toronto.

More later on the repertoire I'll be responsible for knowing. I'll let it pile up a bit to make a fuller list in the coming days.

Cool wet weather so far here, hopefully improving over the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Have fun! I hope you're enjoying some cleaner air too.
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete