Monday, April 17, 2006

London (Ont) and back

I headed over to London Friday to see Wendy perform the Beethoven Missa Solemnis with the Fanshawe Chorus & Co. under Gerald Fagan. Centennial Hall proved to be a much better hall than I expected--a cigarbox-shaped hall of late 60's vintage, the front row of the balcony proved to show off choir, orchestra, and soloists with both resonance and detail.

The only thing I dislike about sitting in the front row of a balcony is the terrible vertigo I experience upon standing for an ovation (as the audience did on Friday night), and the discomfort of having to lean backwards while heartily clapping (and cheering, etc.) while at the same time trying to master my fear of the orchestra level's yawning expanse right below me.

The concert was followed by an excellent Saturday morning at the breakfast room of the Idlewyld Inn, conversation with acquaintances new and old, as well as an excellent smoked salmon Eggs Benedict.

No comments:

Post a Comment