1. How much does it pay?
2. Does it even pay?
3. Is there more to it?
4. Does it have a set amount of hours?
In addition, I always ask myself these four non-financial questions:
1. Does it overlap with anything already in my schedule? (The first question I ask myself these days)
2. Do I have enough time to learn the music? (Because I have to balance my artistic and financial targets with realistic limits on how much I can actually do)
3. What follow-up work can I get from this? (Because let's face it, we're in for the long haul)
4. Will they even notice if I play really well? (Often people don't, and this upsets me to no end)
What questions do you ask people when deciding whether or not to take a gig? What questions do you ask yourself?