From the recently released platform of the Conservative Party of Canada, led by Stephen Harper, here is the section that details their commitments to the arts, entitled "Promoting arts, culture, and competitive sport."
Canada is a nation of great artists and athletes. Arts, culture, and sport all make essentialcontributions to our national identity.
A Conservative government will:
• Establish a Francophone Secretariat within the Department of Canadian Heritage. Language is an integral part of culture and heritage and should form the basis of decision-making for the Francophone culturaland artistic community.
• Ensure that the CBC and Radio-Canada continue to perform their vital role as national public service broadcasters.
• Preserve the role of the National Film Board, the Canada Council, and other federal arts and culture agencies.
• Give Canadians increased access to international and foreign-language television and radio programming.
• Maintain the $140 million annual commitment to amateur sport, which includes a $55 million five-year commitment for high performance athletes for the Vancouver Winter Olympics.
Other parties on the arts:
New Democratic Party