Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Remembering Martin Isepp

Martin Isepp, one of the world's great vocal coaches and mentor to countless singers and pianists, has passed away over the holidays. Although I never worked with Martin, his influence on those I have worked and studied with over the years, both in the art song and opera realms, was palpable. Here is Martin Isepp with tenor Paul Austin Kelly in a 2010  performance of Britten's On This Island:



More remembrances from around the blogosphere:

Two posts from Norman Lebrecht (also read the comments)
Brian Dickie of the Chicago Opera Theater
Musical Toronto
Lewes Classical
Nicholas Phan

If you have any experiences or stories you would like to share, please leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. I had the privilege to watch him work while I was on Faculty at the same time as he was coaching at the C.O.S.I. program in Italy in 2008. What a loss for the musical world. He was a true lover of music and with such passion for Mozart! I also had a coaching with him on some Brahms I was playing in the Faculty concert and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete