Tuesday, October 06, 2009

What is Music Teacher's Helper? A Quick Feature Rundown

It's no secret that one of the online services for musicians that I get most excited about is Music Teacher's Helper. I both use and promote this product and have found that it makes a world of difference in the management of both my performing and teaching activities.

But with a service that offers such depth of management tools, the most common questions I get about MTH are what it is and what it does.

To put it simply, Music Teacher's Helper is a web-based computer service that integrates studio scheduling, communications, marketing, invoicing, and income/expense tracking under one roof. Here are some of the features that are available through MTH:
  • the ability to build and customize your own website with both public and login-only areas (using SSL encryption to protect your student's data)
  • integration with your email client so you can easily communicate with individual students/parents, groups, and the studio as a whole
  • online registration (still the holy grail of registration features that most schools of music and studios lack)
  • online scheduling with the ability to sync with Google Calendar
  • student invoicing, both manual and automated (with multiple payment options including credit cards via PayPal)
  • income/expense tracking
  • student progress tools, including lesson notes, download capability, a practice log, and lending library
You can find a complete feature list here. But what I find creates the most value in my studio with MTH is not just the depth of tools, but the fact that they are all integrated with one another, can all be easily accessed once you've logged in to the site, and can be customized to fit your agenda as a teacher.

These two videos give an excellent introduction to the service:






If you have any more questions about Music Teachers's Helper or wish to share your experiences using it, feel free to leave a comment below.

2 comments:

  1. MTH (as those of us in "the know" call it) is the bomb! I was introduced to it by the marvellous Craig Tompkins who, like me, got extraordinarily frustrated by the music teaching website we were both on. I was wary at first - did I really need invoicing capabilities? PayPal? It didn't have what I was used to. BUT, for all the extras MTH has (which you don't need to use if you don't want to) the thing MTH does best is its customer service. I have NEVER had to wait more than 24 hours for a response to ANYTHING I send them (be it a problem or a feature request). Frequently, I get a response & a resolution within 2-3 hours. The team at MTH is amazing & their goal is to help YOU do a better job with how you want to manage your studio. Like Chris, I can't say enough about MTH. They are the best & I suggest them to ANY studio teacher out there (try it - it's FREE!!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This past August I bit the bullet and went on-line with my studio signing up for the free 3-student trial with MTH. All I can say is WOW! My students LOVE it, their parents are so impressed and i can't believe how easy it makes invoicing, tracking payments and expenses, following up on lessons, making notes etc.

    As a new user I am thrilled and will also be blogging about it later this fall!

    Thanks Chris for the info!

    ReplyDelete