The call for submissions for the 2007 Tapestry Composer/Librettist laboratory was just released this morning. The press release is copied below for writers and composers who might be interested. The deadline is May 1.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Tapestry New Opera Works
Composer-Librettist Laboratory 2007
The heart and soul of Tapestry’s new work creation programme is the Composer-Librettist Laboratory. After ten successive “Lib-Labs”, this programme has been carefully honed for composers and writers to test, exercise and develop their collaborative writing and composing skills in the music theatre/opera art form. For most composers and writers the artistic process is a solitary one. Tapestry provides development, guidance and financial support through the often lengthy, but ultimately rewarding, new work creation process.
Eligibility / Requirements
Professional composers and writers who are collaboration-minded, willing to explore new approaches to music theatre/opera creation and able to constructively critique their own and others’ work.
* Composers and writers must agree to enter the Lab as equals, with neither discipline taking precedence over the other.
* All participants accepted into the programme will receive a residency bursary offered by Tapestry that covers program fees of $2,000. Participants selected will be responsible for their own travel and accommodation.
* Participants must be available from August 13th to 24th (inclusive) on a full-time basis.
Guidelines for Submissions
All applicants please submit:
1. A cover letter that includes your name, address, telephone & fax numbers, e-mail address & Web site
2. A resume or CV outlining your professional experience and relevant academic and professional training.
3. A one-page description stating your interest in participating and why you would benefit from the program. This may be included as part of the cover letter.
4. For applicants who do not yet have a known body of work, a letter of reference from a professional in the field.
Composers - In addition to #1 through #4 above, please submit:
* Two samples of your work, including scores and recordings, at least one sample of work written for the voice.
Writers - In addition to #1 through #4 above, please submit:
* Two samples of your work including an excerpt from a dramatic work for the stage.
Please limit your submission of samples to a maximum of 20 pages.
Submissions must be postmarked on or before the submissions deadline.
Deadline for Submissions: May 01, 2007
Notification Date: June 5, 2007
Submissions should be directed to the Attention of
Ms. Susan Worthington, Producing Director
BY MAIL, to:
Tapestry new opera works
55 Mill Street, Bldg # 58
The Cannery, Studio 316
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4
For More Information Please Contact:
Susan Worthington, Producing Director
416 537- 6066 ext 225
liblab [at] tapestrynewopera dot com